Friday, August 24, 2007

The White and Blush wines...

.
This was the first of our tastings. This Sauvignon Blanc was very dry for my liking but I thought it might go well with seafood, esp crab cakes! At $8.99 a bottle for 750 ml, we thought it to be a good white wine. Most everyone rated this one a "4". *Note: When traveling to Napa Valley, we passed by the Beaulieu Vineyards but didn't have enough time to stop in for a wine tasting!

.
.

I have had about 3 Pinot Grigios and this one by Turning Leaf (a Gallo Family Vineyards owned company) was dryer than the others I have had. It was quite smooth but bland. I gave it a "3". At $6.23 for a 750 ml bottle, this was a good priced wine.
.

.

The third bottle was the most expensive of the six bottles we tasted. $10.99 for a 750 ml bottle. This Robert Mondavi Riesling was again, not as sweet as I have had before (Schmitt and Sohne), but it was fruity and I liked it so much that I gave it a "4 1/2"!

.

.

Bottle #4.....Ahhhh, what can be said about this rosy colored beauty?!!! Kent and I first tried the Sutter Home White Merlot in Napa Valley, CA on the encouragement of the Sommelier in the wine tasting room. I was glad I made the decision to try it. It has become my new favorite!!! And it was also chosen as the favorite of 6 out of seven taste testers at my wine tasting. This one was Beringer (the other winery we visited in Napa Valley) and usually more expensive than Sutter Home when you order a glass of White Zinfandel at restaurants. But, I bought a 750 ml bottle for $4.00!!! The 1.5L bottles were $8.00, as well. Either the Sutter Home or Beringer would make a great selection as your #1 blush wine. And both being reasonably priced under $5.00 per bottle!

.

.

No comments: