Saturday, March 15, 2008

When you talk the talk...

.
You better walk the walk!!!
.
I DID IT!!!
.
I walked from 7:18 pm until noon today!!! I did 234 laps which is the ecquivalent of 47 miles!!! I feel sore but very accomplished. It rained until 1 or 2 am and some of it was fairly steady rain. I used my umbrella for that time.
.
I met some amazing people there. Many were survivors who came to help others and take part in something that they want to see eradicated. We talked while we walked. I made a lot of friends and we have the same commitments to seeing this through. Hoping that one day, cancer will be a thing of the past.
.
The whole atmosphere was of hope and courage. Laughter and excitement. Pride and love.
.

I am touched by those who walked with me to find out why I was walking "that extra mile". They wanted to help me keep going. That was so cool of them to want to do. I loved the atmosphere and the encouragement by others. We all shared in that. Today might have seemed like it was all about me but it wasn't. It was all about a cause which I took to heart.
.
My final laps approaching 12 noon were very memorable. There were many people all around me, even the whole "Broken Chain Gang" team was there walking the last two laps cheering me on. I received many hugs and hand shakes congratulating me for my accomplishment. It moved me to tears as I tallied up my last marks on my sleeve.
.
There is no worse battle than having to fight for your life. To face the gates of death and know that you have to move on, you can't take a break, you can't give up. I had a choice, I didn't have to do what I did. I could go on with my life with no difference if I did give up my walking goal. But those fighting cancer don't have that option. They have to overcome the chemo, the radiation, the surgeries, the boodwork, loss of hair, loss of weight, loss of freedom and independence.
.
I walked for them. I walked the walk!
.

No comments: