If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look like this...
- 57 Asians
- 27 Europeans
- 14 from the Western hemisphere (north & south)
- 8 Africans
- 52 would be female
- 48 would be male (go figure!)
- 70 would be non-white, 30 white
- 70 would be non-Christain, 30 would be Christian
- 89 would be heterosexual, 11 would be homosexual
- 59% of the world's wealth would be in the hands of only 6 people and all 6 would be citizens of the U.S.
- 80 would live in substandard housing
- 70 would be unable to read
- 50 would suffer from malnutrition
- One would be near death, one would be near birth
- Only one would have a college education
- Only one would have a computer
When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for both acceptance and understanding becomes glaringly apparent.
The above was taken from a local realtor's solicitation sent to our home. The original work came from Donella H. Meadows who published the original 'State of the Village Report' in 1990. It took the current world statistics and reproduced them as they would appear in a village of just 100 people. The village of 100 people reflects all the variations of the real world, but in values we can understand. Google "State of the Village Report" to see even more in depth statistics about these 100 people.