Monday, January 14, 2008

What a glorious day!

.
I wake up to 55 degree temp with a bright sunny sky, beautiful music to listen to while I change the sheets and clean up the bathroom, a perfect cup of coffee I finally made (after several failed attempts!) and ideas abounding in my head as I complete tasks one after the other. No glass could be half-fuller!!!
.
I figured it would be cooler today after the storm we had yesterday but you never know here. I was pleased to wake up to true cool, crispness in the air. The kind that makes you want to open all of the windows and take a deep breath as you open each one. (Any cooler than 55, mind you, and I would be hesitant to have open windows. I have my "cool" limit!)
.
I took a hot salt bath to ease the everyday pains in the joints and of course.....to shave!!! One must shave in the tub of water once in a while because you can see better than when you are standing in the shower, bending over, trying to hold your balance - you know who you are!!! Then, seeing that the tub has been neglected lately, I decided to get out the detergent for tubs and my gloves...uh-oh, only one glove and it is a lefty! Dang it!!! So, I put it on my left hand and proceeded to clean the entire tub bending over with my left hand. That's a lesson in futility (next word of the day). I was actually surprised at how much I was able to do. 75% of the tub was cleaned all with my left hand while my right hand held up the rest of my body!!! I was thinking about those who lose a limb and the half full glass popped in my head (kind of like the lightbulb that goes on for some people - mine is a half full glass!). I am blessed to have all limbs and functioning properly. But, it is still good to change once in a while to give the non-dominant a chance to shine. And my tub is shining now!!!
.
I put on one of my recent favorite CDs and started thinking about my childhood. I can remember not wanting to practice the piano like I was supposed to and then when I did play, I wanted to play Elton John and The Carpenters. My teacher, Mrs. Kravitz would allow me to show her what I learned and then quickly got out the classical music books I was only allowed to play for her. She was classically training and I suspect, very good at her prime. I don't think I appreciated her very much at the time....the 70's weren't about Bach and Beethoven to an 8-14 year old girl!!! Now, I think about her and want to send positive thoughts to her memory that I do appreciate classical music so much now. I owe quite a bit of the early teachings from her and I can play a mean Fur Elise to prove it!
.
Is there ever a time when you think about someone who put a mark on your life but you never had the chance to tell them? I was able to tell my mom and dad before they died and I am glad I did. But, I do think it is never too late. My thoughts to those who have passed are real and I know that they know how I feel. It is rewarding, to say the least.
.
My coffee experience...I have yet to consistently make a great batch. Partly because I don't make the same amount or use the same measuring utensil, but I am learning.
.
I bought some Dunkin Donuts coffee before the holidays (a fav of mine) and it definitely is stronger and doesn't require as much as say Folgers. The first two times I made it, it was so strong that I used at least a quarter of a cup of half n half to just lighten the color from black to chocolate!!! That pot I threw out, needless to say!!! Since then, I am down to less than half the 12 oz. package I bought and wanted to tweek it to get the most enjoyment out of it. Today was the day. I used my smaller scoop and with 2 scoops per cup, it made the perfect batch. Light mocha color, the way I like it, after a touch of cream and ooooh, that DD robust flavor. Mmmmmm...it's a glorious day!
.
I think I might change my blog title from Haven for Relaxation to Half Full Glass.
.

No comments: